Andrea graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Specialized Honours Zoology from the University of Guelph, (1994). Andrea completed the Veterinary Technician Diploma at the Ridgetown College Campus, University of Guelph (1998). Most recently, Andrea graduated with a Master’s degree in Veterinary Clinical Studies, with a focus on hospital associated infections in the ICU.
Andrea has been an RVT in an ICU environment for almost 18 years, and became a Veterinary Technician Specialist in Emergency and Critical Care (VTS(ECC)) in 2003, becoming a member of the Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians (AVECCT). Andrea has been a very active member of AVECCT, having been the Examination Chair, Executive Secretary, and President of the Council of Regents. Currently, Andrea serves as the Immediate Past-President of AVECCT, and also sits on the Newsletter and Website Committees.
Andrea is an experienced veterinary educator and lecturer, and regularly speaks at national and international veterinary conferences. A short list of conferences includes:
- International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium (IVECCS).
- British Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress (BSAVA)
- Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians Annual Conference
- American Animal Hospital Association’s Annual Conference
- Western Veterinary Conference ** Voted 2014 Technician Educator of the Year!
- North American Veterinary Conference
- Veterinary Nurses Council of Australia’s Annual Conference
In addition to conference engagements, Andrea has developed live and online courses for Quality CE, and the Veterinary Support Personnel Network (VSPN.org) on Advanced Critical Care Nursing. Andrea’s areas of specialization include: Respiratory Nursing, Renal Nursing and Hospital-Associated Infections.
- 2015: Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care for Technicians, 3rd Edition. Co-editors, Andrea M. Battaglia and Andrea M. Steele
- 2011: Contributor: Veterinary Technician’s Manual for Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care, Editor Christopher Norkus
- 2006 Contributor: Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Manual, Editor Karol Mathews
Other Related Activities
- Technician Program Coordinator for the International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium
- Speaker Planning Chair for the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians Annual Conference.
- Sits on the Academic Advisory Committee for the Veterinary Technology Program of Ridgetown College
- Peer-Reviewer for the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association (JAAHA)
- AVECCT Liaison to the RECOVER (Reassessment Campaign on Veterinary Resuscitation) Initiative, and VETCOT (Veterinary Committee on Trauma)
- Certified in CPR–Basic Life Support, and Advanced Life Support (ACVECC), and an approved Psychomotor Trainer (ACVECC)
Andrea is a member of the Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians, the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society, the International Veterinary Academy of Pain Management, the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, and the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians.
2015 Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians Specialty Technician of the Year
2014 Western Veterinary Conference Technician Educator of the Year
2013 Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians Outstanding Contributions Award