Andrea graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Specialized Honours Zoology from the University of Guelph, (1994). Andrea completed the Veterinary Technician Diploma at the Ridgetown College Campus, University of Guelph (1998). Most recently, Andrea graduated with a Master’s degree in Veterinary Clinical Studies, with a focus on hospital associated infections in the ICU.
Andrea has been an RVT in an ICU environment for over 20 years, and became a Veterinary Technician Specialist in Emergency and Critical Care (VTS(ECC)) in 2003, becoming a member of the Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians and Nurses (AVECCTN). Andrea has been a very active member of AVECCTN, having been the Examination Chair, Executive Secretary, and President of the Board of Directors. Currently, Andrea serves as the Executive Secretary of AVECCTN.
Andrea is an experienced veterinary educator and lecturer, and regularly speaks at national and international veterinary conferences. A short list of conferences includes:
- International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium (IVECCS).
- British Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress (BSAVA)
- Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians Annual Conference
- American Animal Hospital Association’s Annual Conference
- Western Veterinary Conference ** Voted 2014 Technician Educator of the Year!
- North American Veterinary Conference
- Veterinary Nurses Council of Australia’s Annual Conference
In addition to conference engagements, Andrea has developed live and online courses for Quality CE, and the Veterinary Support Personnel Network (VSPN.org) on Advanced Critical Care Nursing. Andrea’s areas of specialization include: Respiratory Nursing, Renal Nursing and Hospital-Associated Infections.
- 2021: McCurnin’s Clinical Textbook for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses, 10th Edition. Co-Editors, JM Bassert, AD Beal and OM Samples
- 2020: Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care for Technicians, 4th Edition. Co-editors, Andrea M. Battaglia and Andrea M. Steele
- 2019: Contributor: Veterinary Technician’s Manual for Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care, Editor Christopher Norkus
- 2019: Contributor: Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Manual, Editor Karol Mathews
Other Related Activities
- Technician Program Coordinator for the International Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Symposium
- Sits on the Academic Advisory Committee for the Veterinary Technology Program of Ridgetown College
- Peer-Reviewer for the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association (JAAHA)
- RECOVER Certified CPR Trainer
Andrea is a member of the Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians, the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society, and the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians.
2015 Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians Specialty Technician of the Year
2014 Western Veterinary Conference Technician Educator of the Year
2013 Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians Outstanding Contributions Award